Senior Researcher TT (TT2)
After receiving a master degree in Biotechnology at the University of Verona (Italy) in 1998, I joined the neuroscience centre of GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), a large research-based pharmaceutical company based in Verona (Italy) and Harlow (UK), where I pioneered the use of functional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to describe the neural substrates modulated by pharmacological agents, a line of research that I also pursued to obtain a PhD degree in biomedical imaging with the University of Verona.
During my years at GSK I took on roles of increasing responsibility, and developed a strong background in MRI, image processing and analysis, as well as in the application of translational approaches to study neuropsychiatric brain disorders.
In 2010 I joined the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, where I lead the Functional Neuroimaging Laboratory. The lab is equipped with a 4-channel 7 Tesla MRI scanner for in vivo imaging.
During my research activity, I have described the circuital substrates modulated by centrally-active agents in multiple areas of experimental neuroscience (e.g. schizophrenia, depression, drug addiction etc.) and identified functional and structural alterations in different rodent models of brain pathology. More recently, I have demonstrated the feasibility of using fMRI in combination with pharmaco-genetic silencing to dissect the circuital basis of complex behaviors, and demonstrated for the first time that the mouse brain contains distributed resting-state functional connectivity networks, including plausible homologues of the human default-mode (DMN) and salience networks.
My current research is primarily focused on the application of advanced MRI methods to investigate the large-scale neurofunctional architecture of the mouse brain, and describe its modulation by neurodevelopmental and pathological effectors. A major goal of my research is to probe the activity of functional network systems as a novel cross-species translational language that can be related to specific behaviours, cognitive processes and neuropathological traits.
My research focuses on the development and application of advanced MRI methods to describe large scale circuits in the mouse brain.
Active research projects include
- description of the connectional architecture of the mouse brain using MRI
- large-scale mapping of optogenetic and pharmacogenetic mediated neuronal activity
- circuital description of neuro-pharmacological effects using pharmacological fMRI
- application of advanced morphoanatomical and functional MRI methods to investigate deranged neurofunctional states (e.g. autism and schizophrenia)
Graduate student training opportunities include studies at multiple levels across the areas of research described above, with a particular focus on image analysis and processing, and the development and validation of concurrent MRI/ optical / metabolic and electro-physiological measurements.
Google Scholar Bibliometrics
1. Sforazzini F, Berterto A, Dodero L, David G, Galbusera A, Scattoni ML, Pasqualetti M, Gozzi A*
Altered functional connectivity networks in acallosal and socially-impaired BTBR mice
(2014) Brain Structure & Function, In press
2. M Squillace, L Dodero, M Federici, S Migliarini, F Errico, F Napolitano, P Krashia, A Di Maio, A Galbusera, A Bifone, ML Scattoni, M Pasqualetti, NB Mercuri, A Usiello, A Gozzi*
Dysfunctional dopaminerig neurotransmission in asocial BTBR mice
(2014) Translational Psychiatry, 4(8) e427
3. Yang BZ, Paolicelli R, Sforazzini F, Weinhard L, Bolasco G, Pagani F, Vissosktsy A, Bifone A, Gozzi A, Ragozzino D, Gross C
Deficient neuron-microglia signaling results in impaired functional brain connectivity and social behavior.
(2014) Nature Neuroscience, 17, 400-406
3. Sannino T, Gozzi A, Cerasa A, Schegga D, Manago F, Damiano M, Galbusera A, Dodero L, Tonelli D, Bifone A, Tsaftaris AS, Weinberger DR, Spalletta G, Papaleo F
Sexual dimorphisms in COMT modulation of cortical anatomy and behavior in mice and humans.
(2014) Cerebral Cortex, In press
4. Tucci V., Kleefstra T, Hardy A, Heise I, Maggi S, McGuffin L, Vizor L, Dodero L, Tsaftaris S, Romero R, Nillesen n, Peart-Vissers L, Kempers M, Silfhout A, Iqbal Z, Orlando M, Maccione A, Lassi g, Farisello P, Constestabile A, Tinarelli F, Nieus T, Raimondi A, Greco B, Cantatore B, Gasparini L, Berdondini L, Bifone A, Gozzi A, Wells S, Nolan P
Dominant β-catenin mutations cause intellectual disability with recognizable syndromic feature
(2014) Journal of Clinical investigation
5. Sforazzini, F., Schwarz, A.J., Galbusera,A., Bifone,A., Gozzi, A*
Distributed BOLD and CBV-weighted resting-state networks in the mouse brain
(2013) Neuroimage, 87, 403-415
6. Dodero, L., Damiano, M., Galbusera, A. Bifone, A., Tsaftsaris, S.A., Scattoni, M.L., Gozzi, A*
Neuroimaging Evidence of Major Morpho-Anatomical and Functional Abnormalities in the BTBR T+TF/J Mouse Model of Autism.
(2013) PLoS ONE, 8 (10), art. no. e76655
7. Gozzi, A*., Lepore S, Vicentini E, Merlo-Pich E, Bifone A
Differential effect of Orexin-1 and CRF-1 antagonism on stress circuits: a fMRI study in the rat with the pharmacological stressor yohimbine
(2013) Neuropsychopharmacology, 38 (11), pp. 2120-2130
8. Gozzi, A*., Agosta, F., Massi, M., Cioccocioppo, R., Bifone, A.
Reduced limbic metabolism and fronto-cortical volume in rats vulnerable to alcohol addiction
(2012) Neuroimage, 69, pp. 112-119
9. Wellman, P.J., Clifford, P.S., Rodriguez, J.A., Hughes, S., Di Francesco, C., Melotto, S., Tessari, M., Corsi, M., Bifone, A., Gozzi, A.
Brain reinforcement system function is ghrelin dependent: Studies in the rat using pharmacological fMRI and intracranial self-stimulatioAddiction Biology, 17 (5), pp. 908-919
10. Ferrari, L.,Turrini, G., Crestan, V., Bertani, S., Cristofori, P., Bifone, A., Gozzi, A*.
A robust experimental protocol for pharmacological fMRI in rats and mice
(2012) Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 204 (1), pp. 9-18.
11. Gozzi, A*., Colavito, V., Seke Etet, P.F., Montanari, D., Fiorini, S., Tambalo, S., Bifone, A., Zucconi, G.G., Bentivoglio, M.
Modulation of fronto-cortical activity by modafinil: A functional imaging and Fos study in the rat
(2012) Neuropsychopharmacology, 37 (3), pp. 822-837.
12. Gozzi, A.*, Tessari, M., Dacome, L., Agosta, F., Lepore, S., Lanzoni, A., Cristofori, P., Pich, E.M., Corsi, M., Bifone, A.
Neuroimaging evidence of altered fronto-cortical and striatal function after prolonged cocaine self-administration in the rat
(2011) Neuropsychopharmacology, 36 (12), pp. 2431-2440.
13. Gozzi, A.*, Turrini, G., Piccoli, L., Massagrande, M., Amantini, D., Antolini, M., Martinelli, P., Cesari, N., Montanari, D., Tessari, M., Corsi, M., Bifone, A.
Functional magnetic resonance imaging reveals different neural substrates for the effects of orexin-1 and orexin-2 receptor antagonists
(2011) PLoS ONE, 6 (1), art. no. e16406,
14. Bifone, A., Gozzi, A., Schwarz, A.J.
Functional connectivity in the rat brain: A complex network approach
(2010) Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 28 (8), pp. 1200-1209.
15. Gozzi, A., Jain, A., Giovanelli, A., Bertollini, C., Crestan, V., Schwarz, A.J., Tsetsenis, T., Ragozzino, D., Gross, C.T., Bifone, A.
A neural switch for active and passive fear
(2010) Neuron, 67 (4), pp. 656-666.
16. Schwarz, A.J., Gozzi, A., Bifone, A.
Community structure in networks of functional connectivity: Resolving functional organization in the rat brain with pharmacological MRI
(2009) NeuroImage, 47 (1), pp. 302-311.
17. Gozzi, A.*, Herdon, H., Schwarz, A., Bertani, S., Crestan, V., Turrini, G., Bifone, A.
Pharmacological stimulation of NMDA receptors via co-agonist site suppresses fMRI response to phencyclidine in the rat
(2008) Psychopharmacology, 201 (2), pp. 273-284.
18. Schwarz, A.J., Gozzi, A., Bifone, A.
Community structure and modularity in networks of correlated brain activity
(2008) Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 26 (7), pp. 914-920.
19. Gozzi, A.*, Large, C.H., Schwarz, A., Bertani, S., Crestan, V., Bifone, A.
Differential effects of antipsychotic and glutamatergic agents on the phMRI response to phencyclidine
(2008) Neuropsychopharmacology, 33 (7), pp. 1690-1703.
20. Gozzi, A.*, Ceolin, L., Schwarz, A., Reese, T., Bertani, S., Crestan, V., Bifone, A.
A multimodality investigation of cerebral hemodynamics and autoregulation in pharmacological MRI
(2007) Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 25 (6), pp. 826-833.
21. Gozzi, A. * Schwarz, A., Reese, T., Bertani, S., Crestan, V., Bifone, A.
Region-specific effects of nicotine on brain activity: A pharmacological MRI study in the drug-näve rat
(2006) Neuropsychopharmacology, 31 (8), pp. 1690-1703
NARSAD Indpendent Investigator Grant 2017
Simmons Foundation for Autism Research (SFARI) explorer award (2016)
Simmons Foundation for Autism Research (SFARI) explorer award (2014)
GlaxoSmithKline Exceptional Science Award (2006)
GlaxoSmithKline Scinovation Award (2007 and 2009)